Technical Work Experience

You must complete a minimum of 450 days of technical work experience before applying for ACA membership.

You can start the ACA independently and sit all the exams except the Advanced Case Study (ACS) outside of a training agreement. You will eventually need to find an authorized firm to employ you under a training agreement in order to gain your 450 days experience and be able to sit the ACS exam during your third year of training.

You need to complete an ACA training agreement with one of the 2,850 authorised training employers around the world to gain your training experience.

Your work experience must be recorded as part of your ACA training records throughout your training period. Your employer should review and sign off your training records with you at least every six months as part of your six-monthly reviews. This will ensure that you are on track to qualify as an ACA and to enter ICAEW membership.

Your TWE must relate to at least one of the following six technical categories:

  • Accounting
  • Financial Management
  • Audit/Assurance
  • Insolvency
  • Taxation
  • Information Technology